Annonce

Réduire
Aucune annonce.

My first "Mod" to the V70R...(shift knob install and DIY writeup)!!!

Réduire
X

• Filtre
  • Heure
  • Afficher
Tout nettoyer
nouveaux messages

• My first "Mod" to the V70R...(shift knob install and DIY writeup)!!!

So I had some spare time the other day so I decided to do a how-to on installing a shift knob that you need to thread the shifter shaft for. My shift knob of choice was the TWM M1 Abrams Satin knob. I find it goes perfectly with the interior trim of the car and it matches the stock shifter shaft perfectly.

Installation time: approx 45 min

Tools you will need:

1. Vice grips
    2. Tap and die kit with a 8x1.25 tap. Should be able to find this for under $50 at pretty much any hardware store if you don't already have one
    3. 15mm open end wrench
    5. 1 square of paper towel
    4. A decent amount of elbow grease

STEP 1:

You're going to want to start I started off by removing the stock shift knob. Simply push down on the shift knob and turn counter-clockwise. I don't have a picture for this but to be honest, I don't think it's needed lol.

This is what you will be left with:

STEP 2:

Now you're going to want to get that pin out. For this we're going to use the Vice Grips. I used a set that had small flat teeth. Basically what you want to do is get a good grip on the big end and try to turn it to break it free. Then you'll simply need to be patient and pull outwards while rotating the pin until it comes loose. It takes some time and effort but the pin comes out intact this way, so if ever you want to go back to stock, you'll be able to.

Place the pin in a place where you'll find it if ever you need it again . I put mine in the center console.

A few pics:

STEP 3:

Once the pin is out, it's time for the annoying part lol. First off you're going to want to punch a whole in your paper towel just large enough to fit the shifter shaft through. This will cover the rest of the interior from the metal bits that will fall when we will thread the shifter.

Should look something like this:

Now grab the 8x1.25 die and get warmed up because this is gonna take some effort lol. It will most likely take you 3-5min to get the die going so don't get frustrated. Also make sure your die is being used in the right direction (one side should be a bit wider to allow the threads to be started easier).

I didn't use any cutting oil because it was just making it harder to stay on the shifter. Keep double checking to make sure you're straight.

The result should be something that looks like this :P

STEP 4:

Now if you're installing a TWM Performance shifter, you're going to need to install the hardware. You should thread the die down until the aluminum insert is sitting flush and covering all of the threads.

Should look like this:

Once the height is right, use the 15mm wrench to tighten the aluminum insert just slightly. BTW, this is the method to have the shift knob sit as low as possible. If you would like to have the shift knob sit higher, TWM provides spacers with their shift knobs that you simply throw into the shift knob to give it that extra height. You have about 1-1.5inches of height adjustability depending on the shift knob model.

STEP 5:

Now simply screw on the shift knob. I tried a couple out and decided to go with the M1 Abrams in Satin finish but I took a picture of a couple of the others that I thought also looked good.

TWM Performance Satin Type R

TWM Performance Satin Big Type R (simply a big version of the type R)

TWM Performance Satin M1 Abrams

I hope you guys enjoyed the walk through. In the end from the time I drove the car into the garage to the time the last shift knob was screwed on, it took me 45min. Let me know if you have any questions. All comments are welcome

Good job bro
    S60 T5

3 downpipes installés!

Commentaire

nice ....job !

Commentaire

Thanks guys! I find it looks so much better than the stock shift knob.

Commentaire

I dont know if does it exist for your car but a short shift kit could be a great idea too
          S70 T5 SE 1998
          Civic ex 1998(economic winter beater)
          854 5 speed 1994 (sold)
          940 turbo 1992 (sold)
          855 turbo 1994 (sold)

-M59 LSD MANUAL TRANY, 17X8 CUSTOM PEGS, FCP BIG BRAKE KIT, LOWER SPRING, S60R KKK24 TURBO, S60R MANIFOLD, FMIC WITH 2,5 PIPING, IPD STAGE 3 CUSTOM TUNE, 3.0 DOWNPIPE AND SPORT CATBACK, 2,5 MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST, 960 THROTTLE BODY, 8000K HID, PORSCHE 996TT FRONT AND REAR BRAKE WITH S60R CROSS DRILLED ROTORS, KONI CUSTOM COILOVER, V70R BUMPER!!!

Commentaire

This shift knob will become cold during the winter tho
            S60 T5

3 downpipes installés!

Commentaire

Envoyé par gab Voir le message
              I dont know if does it exist for your car but a short shift kit could be a great idea too
              I'm working on that

Envoyé par Mudstrap Voir le message
              It gets abit chilly, but nothing unbearable

Commentaire

Envoyé par Mudstrap Voir le message
                Just to spray some gravel guard on it !

By the way, nice upgrade Patrick !
                Mario
                XC70 2.5T 2006
                ELEVATE tune - EST Ultra-flo air intake - Snabb intake - Coolant , Vacuum and Boost Tubing Coupler silicone hoses - Strut Bar Conversion Kit - LED interior - LED Tail lights - HID fog lights 4300k - GROM audio

Commentaire

mint!

This thing actually feels as good as it looks!

V70 T5-M 2002
                  stock... looking.

Commentaire

Chargement...
                  X